Worry - How to Stop the Habit
Habitual worry does not serve us. It causes a poor quality of life and leads to chronic mental and physical imbalance and eventually disease.
Worry blinds us from real opportunities and prevents the ENJOYMENT OF LIFE.
It stunts our life experience in terms of career development, new exciting experiences, and relationships. The things that make life fun and fulfilling!
Worry is inaction. It taps our precious energy and even more precious time. It is just thoughts of possible negative outcomes that most likely won’t materialize.
In a way, ACTION IS THE OPPOSITE OF WORRY.
Have you noticed that somehow worry makes the issue we are thinking about seem so much bigger than it really is?
Worry is associated with NEGATIVE THOUGHTS ABOUT THE FUTURE.
Yes, we have to plan for the future but planning is action. It’s making decisions. Taking action usually results in some level of satisfaction, right?
People have told me that if they stop worrying they’ll lose control of a particular responsibility. Not true.
Worry is a completely different activity than making good decisions and taking responsibility for something.
It may give you some sense of control but it is a FALSE SENSE of CONTROL.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO WORRY. IT’S JUST A HABIT.
With a little consistent effort, YOU CAN STOP OR SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE IT.
The way out of the worry habit is simple. Yup, I’m talking about changing habits again.
The reason is that habits can create our biggest problems in life or they can be our MOST POWERFUL TOOLS.
Productive habits are also POWERFUL MEDICINE. They can prevent and even cure disease.
THIS REALLY IS SIMPLE.
You will have to put some energy into this but I promise you, if you do this you’ll be more ENERGETIC AND HAPPIER. You might even feel healthier.
Here are the new habits to put worry behind you and enjoy life more.
1. Catch yourself in the act of worrying.
2. Take 10 calm, slow, deep breaths to calm your nervous system.
3. Acknowledge that worrying isn’t serving you or others. Be nice to yourself here. We all have habits to improve upon.
4. Get clear on whether the worry subject matter is something you have any control over or not. If not, drop it and take this next step.
5. Refocus on the present moment. Realize that the only time that exists is right now. Focus entirely on whatever simple task you are doing, or focus on 3 things you are grateful for, or blast your favorite music and have a dance party!
The following 3 steps are FOR WORRY SUBJECTS THAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE SOME CONTROL OVER. I have to give Dale Carnegie credit here for his book “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living”.
1. Collect all the actual facts about the issue so you really understand the situation (what is it? how did it happen? possible solutions?)
2. Make a decision about how you are going to address the situation
3. Calmly take action to improve the situation and dismiss any anxiety that may arise in the process
It takes a little energy to create these habits at first but it can literally save your life. I’ll say it again. THESE HABITS CAN LITERALLY SAVE YOUR LIFE.
As always, I’m truly grateful to you for letting me help. I’m always here for you and your loved ones.
P.S. Initial consultations are always free of charge. New patients meet with me here at the clinic (or video conference if preferred) to discuss their wellness goals and see if our services are a good fit. If you’re a new patient click here to request a free consultation. Click here if you have seen us before and want to schedule your next visit